photo: allison michael orenstein

Saturday, March 7, 2009

Toxic - Britney Spears Cover by Neal Medlyn, Carmine Covelli and Farris Craddock






I always think I was really into punk rock at some point in my past, and indeed Farris and I ruined the speakers in his car listening to Bikini Kill, Huggy Bear, Bratmobile, the Need, etc. constantly. But I never really got into the more commonly referred to, more dude-ish punk rock, except for one Fall when I listened to Chickenshit Conformist by the Dead Kennedys a whole lot, I guess.

But Bikini Kill and Bratmobile were awesome and that was all I cared to believe punk rock meant. Bikini Kill in fact completely changed my life. Those roller coaster-style screams (Speed Heart!) and feedback (Hamster Baby!) and wild energy (Blood One!) forever altered the path of my life. I loved that I felt like it was an awesome secret that the songs were so goddamned good (Carnival!) in addition to all the aforementioned things. I also loved that Kathleen scribbled her face out in the pictures on the side. I never understood why some of my friends thought it was so weird for me to like them.

Now what does all that have to do with Britney Spears or this particular cover?

You tell me!

Neal Medlyn

CLICK TO DOWNLOAD: Toxic Cover

this: on facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment