photo: allison michael orenstein

Friday, March 13, 2009

FLASHBACK FRIDAYS - Mambo # 5 - Lou Bega Cover by Neal Medlyn





It's hard to figure what to say about Mambo #5. I know the first time I heard it I was driving this car I wrecked that occasionally the hood would fly up and hit the windshield while you were driving. The song came on and I freaked out. It's kind of impossible to argue with, this song. Kinda the same way it was hard to argue with "Livin La Vida Loca."

Matter of fact, I wonder if Lou Bega didn't inspire all the enthusiastic, semi-Latin pop confections that have come since.

I've also, as a side note, always been interested in that weird middle space where a pop song ceases to be contemporary but also isn't old enough to be a back-in-the-day nostalgia piece. Mambo #5 is edging into that latter category by now, but I encourage all of you out there in internet land to get a jump start on those Oldies stations and bring Mambo #5 back and bring it back hard.

Neal Medlyn


this: on facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment