photo: allison michael orenstein

Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Prom Queen - Lil Wayne Cover by Neal Medlyn


Guest Post by Neal Medlyn!


Influenced by Kanye's adventurous outing, Lil Wayne has gone all heavy metal on us these days. "Prom Queen" is all kinds of heavy, weird and creepy so I figured I'd pretend I knew how to make Philip Glass style piano music and cover that S.O.B.!

I have no idea what exactly he means by saying "the prom queen is crying sitting outside my door" followed by: "Get up!!" but I like it. I imagine all sorts of "Freeway the movie" style revenge on the smug rock boy misogyny of the song's singer grim pleasure at her sadness. I keep seeing smeared mascara and long knives!

I also kept thinking about this song on Kathleen Hanna's 'Julie Ruin' album that just kind of floated in and then floated back out. I didn't really achieve that same idea with this, but I like the idea of a song feeling sort of fragmentary, taking a long time to fade in and then fading back out before anything overly special happens.

By the way, I was never Prom Queen, but I did win Band Beau one time.

Suck on that, haters!

Love,
Neal

CLICK TO DOWNLOAD: Prom Queen - Lil Wayne Cover by Neal Medlyn

this: on facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment